Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Thank God For My Voice

Stella 老师 said in yesterday's rehearsal that my 声音很漂亮 (voice is very pretty)!

Have you ever had people telling you that you're good at something but you're kinda skeptical, either because you think its just a flattery or you doubt your own abilities?

I know that my voice is not bad, above average, but I didn't have much confidence as I get nervous when I sing in front of strangers - auditions, friends' weddings, ktv with people i don't really know - I always worry if I will sing out of tune, go off pitch, break a note etc, and I will cause I was so self-conscious.

When I sung at Chijmes and heard my voice flowing out of the amplifiers so clearly, I couldn't recognise the tone nor get used to hearing myself at such high decibels.

Until these few months, various people have told me that I have a nice tone and that's when I slowly am coming to accept my own voice.

1) Boon Teck - Director (Toy Factory) / Audition for December Rains /
"You have the potential, voice is raw, but can train. You should go for professional lessons"

2) Sherlyn Chia - Vocal Coach / I took Boon Teck's advise and approached her for lessons /
"You have a very beautiful tone, and not everyone is blessed with it naturally"

3) A sound guy and in-charge when I went for a voice-over audition /
Him: "Do you sing professionally?"
Me: "No, more of an amateur for now"
Him: "Oh, you should try, you have a very nice tone of voice"

4) Stella - Vocal Coach for December Rains /
"你的声音很漂亮" / "You have a beautiful voice"

Wow, just as I was praying if I can really try to make singing my niche cause I doubted my ability, these encouragements from the industry professionals came. God is good!

Oh yes, the comments are not in their exact words, other than Stella's.

Alright, here's photos from yesterday's rehearsal! Only 2 cause not much action other than rehearsing!
Oh, Kit, Leelian and Jo were rehearsing for a song they had too, but I was so engrossed in how their voices weaved in and out so beautifully that I forgot to take a pic of them!

Qianyu and I wanted to take a picture with Kit after she was done, but Qianyu was shy and I was embarressed to be starstruck! I must must must take a pic with Kit the next time she comes for mass rehearsal!

Tenors and basses

Esther and Leelian.
More evidence that having a phone by our ear and singing to ourselves are a norm

No comments: